Re: exim sending problems (dial-up) need to be masqed?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:45:45 +0000
"john smith" <inquirer23@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am stll having trouble with exim. I need to have my header re-written
> in
> order to be able to send messages over the internet since I get this
> error
> when sending a test message:
>
> <snipped>
> This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

>   inquirer23@hotmail.com
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<jx@vegeta> SIZE=1498:
>     host smtp.earthlink.net [207.217.120.200]: 501 5.1.8 <jx@vegeta>...
> Sender domain must exist
>
> OF course jx@vegeta doesn't exist (bec I'm on a dial-up line) so I need
> change that so I can fool smtp.earthlink.net to sending my message. I
> tinkered aroung with exim.conf's qualified_ domain,
> qualify-recipient,localdomains,etc but it still won't work. I need to
> masq
> as @hotmail if possible since I have spambouncer installed so I can send
> messages (cc myself) without spambouncer getting suspicious... if I
> can't be
> @hotmail, then probably Mailer-Daemon or Postmaster@earthlink.net would
> be
> nice too...

You can't do what you're suggesting - effectively stealing other peoples
DNS records ;-) The mail server at the other end is looking up the reverse
DNS for your IP number, so it has to be a valid public domain name. This
is done to protect against SPAM, as a lot of it originates from mail
servers without DNS records.

The answer here is to avoid the problem. Your ISP will have at least one
mail server which will relay mail their dial-up users - you need to get
the name of this machine from their tech support (or it may_ be on their
web site). Set this as the 'smarthost' in exim.conf and exim will pass all
your mail to this machine, which will_ have a valid DNS record.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@stormhammer.com