Re: Groups and Users...

> I want to work with my partner developing some software, I would like to
> have acommon place in which we put our stuff. Like a common directory for
> the proyects we share and files we share...
>
> How would I go about that? does it go in /home?

You may want to look at CVS (www.cvshome.org)  It's a complete versioning
tool designed to allow concurrent development my multiple developers.  (Like
Visual SourceSafe from MS)

However, to answer your question more directly, it can really go anywhere you
want.  There's no right/wrong answer on where to put those kinds of files.
(There are some conventions, but nothing set in stone) /home or /usr would be
a perfectly valid place.

> I guess that for that i need to creat a group to which we will both belong
> so that only we have acces to it without having to change user accounts,
> so if you can also tell me where to find info about common practices to
> manage groups and users I'll appreciate it... Also, is there an easy to
> use tool to manage groups and users in a term?

I would check out linuxconf, available as a debian package, or webmin
(www.webmin.com/webmin) which is a great tool -- very easy to use and does a
lot more than just manage users and groups.

> The other question: How do I protect a web page with a password? Let's say
> that I create a user with public_html and I want to get a username and
> password to enable acces to it...

Assuming you're running apache, you need to have mod_auth enabled and then
you just need to create a fairly simple .htaccess text file and a password
file using htpasswd.  See:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_auth.html

for more information.

hth.