Groups and Users...

Hello there, I hope you can forgive my ignorance in this issues, I'm very
new to debian and linux/unix in general...

I installed potato in this ibm pc 325 i got from ebay, everything is
working great, I love it!

I want to work with my partner developing some software, I would like to
have acommon place in which we put our stuff. Like a common directory for
the proyects we share and files we share...

How would I go about that? does it go in /home?

I guess that for that i need to creat a group to which we will both belong
so that only we have acces to it without having to change user accounts,
so if you can also tell me where to find info about common practices to
manage groups and users I'll appreciate it... Also, is there an easy to
use tool to manage groups and users in a term?

The other question: How do I protect a web page with a password? Let's say
that I create a user with public_html and I want to get a username and
password to enable acces to it...

I hope I'm not being confuse...

Thanks!