Re: Hello and 1st Question

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 12:29:39PM -0400, Brad R wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Forgive me if my first several questions sound stupid, I've just begun with
> Linux and have tried to learn what I can, but there is so much to learn.
> I'm familiar with Unix protocols on the wire, but have never worked directly
> with the OS before a couple months ago.  Microsoft has frustrated me to no
> end, and so, for my career's sake, I'm learning about Unix now and the
> various distributions of Linux now.
>
> Anyways, here's my first question.  I've heard Woody mentioned several times
> now and I thought it was a seperate distribution of Debian.  Now, I've begun
> hearing about upgrading? to it.  Where would I find out how to do that?
> Just point me in the right direction if it's too long to explain.
>
> I'm interested in it because I've heard tell that KDE is included with Woody
> but not with Potato (which seems to be part of the "stable" distribution).
> I've played around with Gnome and KDE (KDE was under Corel Linux) both, and
> prefer KDE.  I want to try setting it up under Debian.  I'm pursuing that
> goal in another fashion as well, but I doubt this will be the last time I
> hear about Woody, so I'd like to see what it looks like.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bradley
>

> --

you can start by reading the howtoz. here is how debian releases its
versions:

potato --> woody --> sid

potato is the CURRENT STABLE version of Debian.
woody is the CURRENT TESTING version and
sid is the UNSTABLE version and will always be unstable.

install potato first then read the manuals on how to use 'apt-get' or
'dselect'.

HTH

--
"When you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable,