From: Royce Bell [mailto:rpbell@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 08:53
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Takin' the plunge...

Okay, this is it.  I'm about to take the plunge into Linux, but my
experience with dumb terminal-based Unix is over 20 years old.  In the
interim, I've been on Windows; a sometimes happy, but always frustrating and
infuriating marriage of convenience and productivity-enslavement.

Debian Linux was recommended to me by a friend, but (this is embarrassing to
admit, as I feel like a newbie all over again) quite frankly, I'm
confusingly overwhelmed at the different products now available.  Debian,
RedHat, etc.  Everybody says theirs is the best, but they cannot all be
correct.  I don't particularly want to go back to the command line, but I do
appreciate the minimalist approach of Unix, especially from a security
standpoint.

Any suggestions to ease the mind and grease the process?

rb