Re: Takin' the plunge...

On approximately Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:11:43AM -0600, John Purser wrote:
<snip>
> If you've got the bucks or the bandwidth then you might want to get a few
> sets of CD's and have a little install party once a month or so.  Use a
> distro for a while, talk to the people on each mailing list, then a month
> later blow it away and start over with a new one.  See which one you really
> like.
>
> Good luck and have fun!

I agree that a "install party" is the way to go.  To start out though, I would
reccomend one that is easy to install.  Go out and by a nice book with a distro
in it and learn from that.  Once you feel comfortable and/or break it, install a
new one.  The first one I used is RH, after a few months I broke something, so I
decided to try some different ones.  Suse was yucky, Slackware was nice, I
almost stayed with it, but I had a yearning for Debian.  I just felt that I had
to try it, and I never looked back.  Now I haven't wiped my drives for 2 years!
Debian rules.
--
Linux, the choice                | The distinction between Freedom and Liberty
of a GNU generation       -o)    | is not accurately known; naturalists have