Re: XFree on Sis630 / Framebuffer problem

On Monday 08 October 2001 7:22 pm, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> David,
>
> thanks for your quick reply!
>
> David Goodenough wrote:
> > Thomas,
> >
> > I think that under the covers your box is a Clevo 2700C or there
> > abouts.
>
> Possibly, I have not opened it (yet :) )
>
> > I have one of these, and am running it with kernel
> > 2.4.5 and XFree86 4.1.0 without either of the problems you are
> > experiencing.
>
> Hm.... that's bad - for me, of course.... I was so much hoping that I am
> not the only one. (How come that it's always me, JUST me?!)
>
> > I built 4.1.0 from source, so I am not sure what fixes are in the -6 or
> > -7 builds.  One of these days I must try 2.4.10.  Have you tried any
> > other levels of either the kernel or X?
>
> I have tried with 2.4.9 and 2.4.10 (altough I can and will try it under
> 2.2.19 which still exists on my hd) and X 4.1.0-6 and 4.1.0-7 as well as
> XFree_FBDev 3.3.6.
>
> My problems do only appear under 4.1.0 (no matter what build), but under
> 2.4.9 as well as 2.4.10.
>
> What's the, erm... source of your source? xfree's ftp? Did you apply any
> patches to it?
>
> A further problem is the fact that I don't exactly know when this
> behavior (x signal 11 on screen activity) started to occure. I noticed
> it on Friday after having installed the kernel and x over a week ago. In
> the meantime (I believe it was on Fraiday, too) I have upgraded to
> 4.1.0-7 but immediately downgraded again to -6 because I did not know of
> the bug in -7 (exec $realstartup instead of exec "$realstartup" or
> something like that.)
>
> The mouse-thing occurred since I installed X.
>
> Thomas

The only thing I did strange with X and the mouse was to get rid of gpm or
whatever it is called, and drive the mouse directly from X.

2.2.19 will not work, or rather will give you problems with the SIS900
Ethernet driver (it will not work).

The only X fix I have is one to the SIS driver, which I am not using as I
am like you using the FrameBuffer.  Are you using the SIS framebuffer or
the VESA one, I could not get the SIS one to work, so I used the VESA one.
The X I got direct from xfree86.org.
]
David