XFree on Sis630 / Framebuffer problem

Hi,

I am one of those (poor) using the vesa-framebuffer on a Gericom Webshox
Laptop (SiS 630) for making X (4.1.0-6 and 7) run at all. I'm running
kernel 2.4.10, but the problem also exists in 2.4.9. Further, I am using
KDE 2.2.1 - but that doesn't seem of importance either.

Not enough that this setup is not exactly the fastest, I am dealing with
two really annoying effects:

1) Everytime I log out of KDE, the x-server (kinda') gets restarted (by
design of KDE I believe), but - the mouse does not react then. Pressing
CTRL-E at the login screen of kdm/xdm or manually restarting the xserver
recovers this. WHY?

2) Even worse: As soon as I change to a VC (CTRL-ALT-Fn), the xserver
crashes (or: "catches a signal 11" in x-speak) _whenever_ there's
activity on the (ergo non-visible) x screen.

This happens eg. as soon as the screensaver gets activated or - even
worse, when the webbrowser draws anything in its windows such as an
animated GIF.

I believe that this has to do with xfree86 4.1.0 because BOTH phenomena
do not appear under 3.3.6 (using the FBDev flavor).

1) Anyone experiencing the same phenomena?
2) Any ideas on how to change this?

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria                  Check it out: