Re: My modem news!!

* Petre Daniel (petredaniel@yahoo.com) spake thusly:

In the other thread you wrote:
> setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5 port 0x0110 uart 16450 baud_base 14400
> now,the modem clings.like you know..makes a small click sound..wvdialconf finds
> ttys2 and it clicks that sound..

So why are trying to set it to irq 2/9 ? -- irq 5 is the one you want.
This is precisely why I suggested you disable one of the standard ports
and reset your modem to use that -- this way you don't have to fsck around
with interrupt and i/o port settings, you can just use setserial's defaults.

> in windows,i found it on irq 5,com3,16550uart,flow control hardware rts/cts..

That's ttyS2, irq 5, look up i/o port in "Ports" in winders CPL. If you get
i/o port and irq right, setserial should be able to figure out uart type by
itself -- unless it's winmodem that emulates uart in software (in which case
you're screwed).

> if i start minicom it says initializing modem,then stays like this 3,4 seconds
> then it prints out a long line of
> "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy".After i Ctrl+a x for exit it
> hangs!

> wvdialconf searches through ttyS0,ttyS1 and ttyS2 without finding something,
> wvdial finally doesn't say i/o error anymore and it prints out:
> -> Initializing modem
> -> Sending: ATZ
> -> Modem not responding

Well, either your modem cannot work with linux (did you search
http://www.linmodems.org?) or you got some settings wrong.
I/O port would be the first one to look at.

> Now,once again i have an internal isa US Robotics modem at 14400..

That doesn't tell me anything. I even had a look at usr's webshite
-- if they have specs for your modem published there, I am unable
to find them.

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM