Re: Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 21:04

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Sherohman" <esper@sherohman.org>
To: "Debian User List" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 21:04

> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 02:17:20PM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up a new machine this weekend, and i'm in trouble.
>
> I know you needed a solution by Monday, so this is a bit late, but I
> haven't seen anyone else post an explanation of what the error
> actually means, so...
>
> > Now, I have a problem. The machine will no longer boot from the hard
disk.
> > I get the message from the subject line. I can boot it from the boot
> > floppy.
>
> lilo (or something else) is telling the kernel to mount / from device
> 21:04 and the kernel doesn't know how to do that.  According to
> Documentation/devices.txt in my kernel source tree, major device 21
> is the generic SCSI subsystem and minor device 04 in that system is
> the fifth device, so 21:04 would be /dev/sg4 (or /dev/sge).  Either
> a) you don't have generic SCSI support in your kernel, b) you don't
> have five generic SCSI devices, or c) you have to boot off a SCSI
> drive (/dev/sd*), not a generic SCSI device (/dev/sg*).

Hmm, maybe the kernel has no support for your scsi card/devices, yes.

BTW, probably the magic number written to the real-root-dev file is the
magic number description for your root device (every device in Linux can be
described by such a number combination - for the numbering system see
attached file devices.txt, the format in the real-root-dev file is for
example for /dev/hdb1: 0x365).

Cheers,

Stephan