Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 21:04

I'm trying to set up a new machine this weekend, and i'm in trouble.

I installed a minimal "stable" over the network. then upgraded to Progeny.
Then I wen to istall the 2.4 kernel packages from
http://people.debian.org/~bunk (thanks for the good work on these BTW).

Now, I have a problem. The machine will no longer boot from the hard disk.
I get the message from the subject line. I can boot it from the boot
floppy.

During the install of the 2.4 kernel package. I goot a message about
needing to add a initrd line to lilo.conf. It sufested puting a line in
/etc/kern-img.conf (from memory). I have tried this, and also tried adding
the sugested initrd line to /etc/lilo.conf. But nieht gets me to the point
where I can boot from the hard disk.

Help Please!

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154