Re: mounting /tmp and setting permissions

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 06:55:14PM -0500, John Patton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:29:04AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> The permissions should stay the same once they are set. I have /tmp
> on it's own partition and I only had to set it once. Note that

You mean it sticks across boots?  Like a filesystem _really_ is
similar to a file:)  Once every reboot I presummed in error,
strengthened in this misbelieve by probably false memories of my Atari
MiNT days where it supposidly didn't work.  Well this certainly
explains why there is no provision for it in the Debian init scripts:]

> the permissions HAVE to be 1777 (that's read, write, and exec for
> everyone, with the sticky bit set). If you're trying to set it to

that's what I use allright, never tried the reboot though, so I
was just imagining it wouldn't stick.

> > Talking about /tmp and booting, I wonder what happens to lost+found:
> > deleted or preserved.
>
> preserved. lost+found is special.

great

--