Re: mounting /tmp and setting permissions

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:29:04AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> Its permissions are wrong, so they need to be set right after /tmp is
> mounted.  For the time being I've added a line to this effect to
> /etc/init.d/mountall.sh.  I know I could add my own file to the init.d
> setup, but this being such a common setup I expected to find a place
> to do this.  But I fail to find it:(

The permissions should stay the same once they are set. I have /tmp
on it's own partition and I only had to set it once. Note that
the permissions HAVE to be 1777 (that's read, write, and exec for
everyone, with the sticky bit set). If you're trying to set it to
something else, there might be something in the startup scripts
that is reseting it back to it's standard values (although I didn't
see anything in there doing that), hence the need to change it's
permissions each time.

> Talking about /tmp and booting, I wonder what happens to lost+found:
> deleted or preserved.

preserved. lost+found is special.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"The important thing is never to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein