Re: [jps@maxlingua.com: xfree86, installation question]

on Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:34:31AM -0500, Branden Robinson (branden@debian.org) wrote:
> Someone please introduce this gentleman to our packaging system!  :)
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If ignorance is bliss,
> branden@debian.org                 |           is omniscience hell?
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |

> From: jps@maxlingua.com
> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:40:31 -0400
> To: branden@debian.org
> Subject: xfree86, installation question
>
> Sorry to trouble you, but if you have a moment to answer a
> question, I would appreciate it.
>
> I run Debian/Sid on all my machines. I use apt and dpkg for
> every application but XFree86. My XFree86 server is installed
> by direct application of `yes | sh Xinstall.sh' in the XFree86 4.1.0
> binaries directory I keep lying around.
> Everytime new XFree86 packages are installed on my system (I use
> `apt-get dist-upgrade' everyday) my XFree86 installation is broken.
> Then I have to run `yes | sh Xinstall.sh' again, and round and round
> we go!
>
> Do you have any ideas how I can bring my systems in line with the Debian
> packages (without losing all my installed X applications)?

There's a package called 'equivs', which lets you create dummy packages
to get around the fact that, say, you're using an external source for
your XFree86 system, despite the fact that every X app requires this to
function.

Why aren't you using X from the Debian packaging system?

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org