dvips printing problem

I posted this sometime back and was never able to get a satisfactory
solution. Maybe someone can give me some better pointers now..

When I try to print a file using dvips quantum.dvi command, what prints
out is the following:
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Creator: dvips(k) 5.86d Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
%%Title: quantum.dvi
%%Pages: 1
%%PageOrder: Ascend
....(more header then a page full of misc garbage)

When I go to the www.radicaleye.com page, it says if you are receiving
the %!PS at the beginning of a file and you don't know how to print it,
you need to install GhostScript.

When I was running stable the dvips command would print fine. After
upgrading to woody, I encountered this problem. I tried upgrading to
sid, but no luck, same problem.

According to apt, I have the latest gs package installed, I also tried
install the Aladdin ghostscript package but I got the same results from
it.

This is a frustrating problem as I need to be able to print a letter
with latex.

thanks
dale