Re: Network Cards

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 08:11:08PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Matthew Sackman(matthew@sackman.co.uk) is reported to have said:
> > Weird! Both of you that replied talk of putting eth0 in /etc/modutils/
> >
> > I've never done that at all - I just put in /etc/network/interfaces,
> > and it gets loaded and works. Do you really need it in aliases?
> > If so why?
> >

> Only if you compiled the NIC driver as a module.  You probably have it
> compiled into the kernel.  I (we) assumed he had 'not' compiled it
> into the kernel.  My only excuse for that is that is how I do it and
> he didn't say which method he used.  :-(  I assumed again, darn it.

It's a module. The natsemi module. It loads fine without there being
anything relating to eth0 anywhere under /etc/modutils.

Weird - I simply never knew this should be there. In fact, come to
think of it, on all the boxes I've set up I've never put eth0 in there
and I've never had a problem.

Any ideas?

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

The contents of this email are intended for the indicated recipient(s)
only. This may or may not be indicated in the above email as it is
enormously easy to fake email addresses (see the relevant RFCs).

For security reasons this email is likely to be gnupg signed. On the
other hand it may not be if I forgot to do so. In any case, if you
are reading this on a Windows based computer then there was no point
in me doing so (provided that I remembered) as your computer is most
likely being used by yourself and 2.8 other people at the same time
(normally without your consent).

No responsibility will be accepted by anyone for any of the contents
of this email. So tough. If in doubt, go compile Mozilla.