Re: Network Cards

Weird! Both of you that replied talk of putting eth0 in /etc/modutils/

I've never done that at all - I just put in /etc/network/interfaces,
and it gets loaded and works. Do you really need it in aliases?
If so why?

Thanks,

Matthew

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:16:41PM -0400, dman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 08:37:48AM -0500, Mike Grover wrote:
> | Hi all,
> |   I am new to using debian.
> |   I have just finished installing ver 2.2 r3 and was wondering how I
> |   go about setting up network cards?
> |
> |   I have a ne2000 in the machine, but when I type ifconfig, All
> |   I see is the local loop back interface.
>
> It the card PCI or ISA?  If it is ISA then add
>
>     alias eth0 ne
>
> to some file in /etc/modutils/ (pick a name that you will remember is
> your custom stuff, not packaged stuff) and run 'update-modules'.  Then
> edit /etc/network/interfaces and include the config for the interface
> (ie, ip addres, etc or specify using dhcp).  If it is a PCI card, then
> I don't know the module name but the procedure is the same except for
> the name of the module.
>
> HTH,
> -D
>

> --

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,
ENGLAND

The contents of this email are intended for the indicated recipient(s)
only. This may or may not be indicated in the above email as it is
enormously easy to fake email addresses (see the relevant RFCs).

For security reasons this email is likely to be gnupg signed. On the
other hand it may not be if I forgot to do so. In any case, if you
are reading this on a Windows based computer then there was no point
in me doing so (provided that I remembered) as your computer is most
likely being used by yourself and 2.8 other people at the same time
(normally without your consent).

No responsibility will be accepted by anyone for any of the contents
of this email. So tough. If in doubt, go compile Mozilla.