Re: Network Cards

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 08:37:48AM -0500, Mike Grover wrote:
| Hi all,
|   I am new to using debian.
|   I have just finished installing ver 2.2 r3 and was wondering how I
|   go about setting up network cards?
|
|   I have a ne2000 in the machine, but when I type ifconfig, All
|   I see is the local loop back interface.

It the card PCI or ISA?  If it is ISA then add

    alias eth0 ne

to some file in /etc/modutils/ (pick a name that you will remember is
your custom stuff, not packaged stuff) and run 'update-modules'.  Then
edit /etc/network/interfaces and include the config for the interface
(ie, ip addres, etc or specify using dhcp).  If it is a PCI card, then
I don't know the module name but the procedure is the same except for
the name of the module.

HTH,
-D