Re: IRC DCC through a firewall

Quoting dman <dsh8290@rit.edu>:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 03:58:21PM +0100, Andrew Pritchard wrote:
> | I've got a Debian firewall setup, which is working ok. I can DCC
> | receive files, but I can't DCC send. The ip_masq_irc module is
> | installed on the firewall. If I try to send, it starts trying to
> | send, the receiver gets the right IP address, and sends the
> | acknowledgement, but the transfer never starts. Have I
> | misconfiguered something or is this by design?
>
> Are you using ipchains or iptables?  Also, what sort of setup does
> your ISP have?
>
> I tried to DCC send to someone once, we both have Frontier Lightning
> Link and are on different masqueraded subnets.  The connection was
> never established.  I was able to do a DCC chat with someone else who
> has a decent ISP (no masq-ing) one time.
>
> -D

ipchains, fairly loose rules. It's a debian stable box, very very little
running on the machine.

The ISP doesn't block anything as far as I am aware - it's a pretty good ISP,
broadband and they aren't too fussy about people running webservers, etc off
their connections. (No mail servers, and only 10 inbound connections allowed),
and it is presented to us as an ethernet connection (Horrah - non of this "It's
a consumer ISP therefore you MUST use USB!)

Andrew