Re: problems with XFree86 on Thinkpad

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:38:49PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 06:33:45PM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
| > On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:33:40AM -0500, David A. Rogers wrote:
| > [video card specs, etc]
| > | Does anyone have any ideas?  This is really starting to wear me down.  I'd
| > | love to get this laptop working.
| >
| > Check out the framebuffer support in the kernel.
|
| Is it necessary to explicitly add FB kernel support on x86?  My
| understanding from the kernel docs was "no".

My desktop machine is a Duron 750.  My config file includes the
following :

#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_FBCON_MFB=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES=m
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=m
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

The stock kernel has the following important difference :

# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set

So if you have a VESA compliant video card that is not one of the
accelerated cards (Matrox, some ATI, some SiS) then you don't have
framebuffer support.  For the PIII laptop at work (ATI Rage Mobility
P/M) I had to recomile the kernel and enable VESA framebuffer for it
to work.  I did try and give the fb options to the stock kernel but it
didn't work.

-D