Re: problems with XFree86 on Thinkpad

on Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 06:33:45PM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:33:40AM -0500, David A. Rogers wrote:
> [video card specs, etc]
> | Does anyone have any ideas?  This is really starting to wear me down.  I'd
> | love to get this laptop working.
>
> Check out the framebuffer support in the kernel.

Is it necessary to explicitly add FB kernel support on x86?  My
understanding from the kernel docs was "no".

> Rebuild your kernel to use the framebuffer instead of VGA for console
> driving.  Also, when you have the framebuffer support in your kernel,
> you can tell X to use the 'fbdev' driver and it all works with no
> hassle at all.  I really like it :-).

On a 600X, I had to add:

        Option          "NoAccel"               "true"
	Option          "ShadowFB"              "false"

...to the Device section of XF86Config-4 to avoid video artifacts.
VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2360 [MagicMedia
256ZX]

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org