Re: virtual hosting in apache and file locations

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 08:10:38PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> The default web root will be /var/www/default. There must be no files in
> /var/www; as a temporary measure, a daily cronjob may be implemented to
> move all files from /var/www to /var/www/default.

If you really feel that this is necessary, be sure to document the
hell out of it - warnings on package install, explanation of what is
being done (and why, which I'm not really clear on) in
/usr/share/doc, email messages informing the sysadmin when files are
moved including a reference to the explanation in /usr/share/doc,
etc.  I doubt that I'm the only one who keeps an index.html in
/var/www which just says, "I don't know which virtual domain you
wanted, so here are a list of the options with links that will bring
them up for you." and I would be thoroughly upset if that were to be
moved while I'm not looking.  Especially if it got moved into a
directory which already contains a perfectly good (and much more
meaningful) index.html.

Choosing a default configuration for packages is a good thing to do
as well as probably being necessary.  Forcing admins to stick to that
configuration with cronjobs that periodically 'repair' any deviation
from the default is not.

have already won. - reverius