Re: IMAP server?

In article <[🔎] 20010929175816.A2551@sackman.co.uk> matthew@sackman.co.uk writes:
>On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 05:37:44PM +0100, xio wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:09:09PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>> I used to have my SUSE box configured that way.  However I couldn't send
>> mails to some mailservers because they refused to accept mails from
>> dailup-hosts.
>> How do you avoid that problem?
>AFAIK, the only reason why an SMTP server will refuse to accept deliver
>is if it a) can not resolve your mailname (check /etc/mailname) and
>b) if it can not match your host name with your IP (ie it will need
>to be able to do a host -a [you.ip.address] and get an address (provided
>by your ISP) that will then map back into the same IP.

Nope, sendmail can reject a connection for any reason it was
configured to.  I reject mail from known open relays, known dialups,
and known spam-supporting ISPs.  I also reject the connection if the
mail-from header doesn't have a valid domain or the connecting host
doesn't have proper rDNS.  See:
http://mail-abuse.org/
http://orbl.org/
http://ordb.org/
http://relays.osirusoft.com/
http://www.blars.org/block.html

Sending mail direct from a dialup is a trick many spammers have used
to bypass thier ISPs spam filters and many ISPs ignore complaints sent
about mail from thier dialups.

You'll need to find a relay that will accept your mail (and not
everyones mail).  This will involve some kind of authentication.

--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html