Re: IMAP server?

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 05:37:44PM +0100, xio wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:09:09PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> I used to have my SUSE box configured that way.  However I couldn't send
> mails to some mailservers because they refused to accept mails from
> dailup-hosts.
>
> How do you avoid that problem?

AFAIK, the only reason why an SMTP server will refuse to accept deliver
is if it a) can not resolve your mailname (check /etc/mailname) and
b) if it can not match your host name with your IP (ie it will need
to be able to do a host -a [you.ip.address] and get an address (provided
by your ISP) that will then map back into the same IP.

So long as these two conditions are met (and I'm not even sure if the
second is really necessary), then the mail should be delivered.

HTH

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

The contents of this email are intended for the indicated recipient(s)
only. This may or may not be indicated in the above email as it is
enormously easy to fake email addresses (see the relevant RFCs).

For security reasons this email is likely to be gnupg signed. On the
other hand it may not be if I forgot to do so. In any case, if you
are reading this on a Windows based computer then there was no point
in me doing so (provided that I remembered) as your computer is most
likely being used by yourself and 2.8 other people at the same time
(normally without your consent).

No responsibility will be accepted by anyone for any of the contents
of this email. So tough. If in doubt, go compile Mozilla.