Re: IMAP server?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:09:09PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Thus spake Craig Dickson:
> > Stephen Gran wrote:
> >
> > > I keep having silently dropped emails to some servers and I can't quite
> > > figure out why.  My ISP (Comcast - god bless 'em for the speed, but tech
> > > support, well, never mind) has been less than helpful about getting it
> > > resolved.  As I never get a bounce, and the logs say all sent mail sends
> > > normally, but several of my friends still complain I never write, I
> > > though I would try my hand at setting something up to deliver the mail
> > > directly, rather than going through my ISP.  Right now I use
> > > exim/fetchmail from Woody.  Any suggestions?  Comments?  Rude noises?
> >
> > If all you're concerned about is outgoing mail, then you have everything
> > you need already. Just reconfigure exim (using eximconfig) to be an
> > "internet site" instead of uploading all your mail to your ISP's SMTP
> > server. Then exim will directly deliver outgoing mail to the
> > destination. I have exim set up this way, and it works fine.
>
> Yup -that got it!  I kind of thought so, but I wanted to see if perhaps
> there was a 'better' way or if the simplest way was the best (as is
> usually the case).
> Thanks again,
> Steve

I used to have my SUSE box configured that way.  However I couldn't send
mails to some mailservers because they refused to accept mails from
dailup-hosts.

How do you avoid that problem?

--

fortune - print a random, hopefully interesting, adage:

Shirley MacLaine died today in a freak psychic collision today.  Two freaks
in a van  [Oh no!!  It's the Copyright Police!!]  Her aura-charred body was
laid to rest after a eulogy by Jackie Collins, fellow member of SAFE [Society
of Asinine Flake Entertainers].  Excerpted from some of his more quotable
comments:

	"Truly a woman of the times.  These times, those times..."
	"A Renaissance woman.  Why in 1432..."
	"A man for all seasons.  Really..."

After the ceremony, Shirley thanked her mourners and explained how delightful
it was to "get it together" again, presumably referring to having her now dead
body join her long dead brain.