Re: HELP: UDMA/100 woes and trouble.

On Fri, 2001-09-28 at 05:22, Mike Dresser wrote:
> > Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand today...  I've got an old ATA33 disk.
> > It's a Quantum Fireball 30GB disk.  What sort of throughput should I be
> > getting?
> >
> > nebula:/home/jasonb# hdparm -t -T /dev/hdb
> >
> > /dev/hdb:
> >  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  2.09 seconds = 61.24 MB/sec
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  8.96 seconds =  7.14 MB/sec
<snip>
> Ouch.  Get that DMA turned on.  I've gotten 30+ meg per second on Fireball
> AS's, and slightly lower on LM's.  Is your cpu an old pentium 233 or
> something?  The buffer-cache reads seems rather low, indicating the memory
> is slow, which could mean an old slow machine, to me.
>
> Once you get that DMA turned on, ( -d1 ) i bet your speeds will go way up.
> If that's a 30gb Fireball LM or AS, it's not ATA33, even the LM's were
> ATA66, the AS ATA100.

Now, can soembody account for my speeds? It's even slower:
alpha:/xa/build# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.75 seconds =170.67 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 35.08 seconds =  1.82 MB/sec

Relevant hardware: Duron 800, Fujitsu 20GB HD (5400 rpm, not sure about
the precise specs), 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM. The funny thing is that the
hard disk seems slower now than when it was installed in my previous
K62-500. I can compile stuff significantly faster, but creating ISO
images (a disk-intensive process) is slower by half.

--
Neo:
I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is