dvorak / qwerty and netscape

Hi Everyone,
  I use the dvorak layout instead of qwerty.  When I upgraded to woody,
I set a config setting somewhere (in some config question) selecting
dvorak as my default layout.  It works great in the console.  It even
works in X, mostly.
  So my problem is this: after booting X, netscape reads my backspace
key as a delete key instead (deletes the character in front instead of
behing the cursor).  If I manually switch back to qwerty, then over to
dvorak (xmodmap ./xmodmap.std ;xmodmap /etc/X11/dvorak.xmodmap) and
restart netscape, the problem goes away.
  I've got several copies of different keymaps on my system (since I
switched from RedHat many moons ago, and didn't want to lose stuff, I've
still got a couple copies lying around).
ben@green:/etc/X11$ locate xmodmap
/etc/X11/dvorak.xmodmap
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xfree86-common_xmodmap
/home/ben/xmodmap.std
/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xmodmap.std
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xmodmap.dvorak
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xmodmap.1x.gz

The interesting ones are the two xmodmap.std's and the
xmodmap.dvorak/dvorak.xmodmap.  I would expect that my problem stemmed
from small differences in the mapping of the backspace key.  But, I
don't think that's it:
ben@green:~$ diff /home/ben/xmodmap.std /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xmodmap.std
ben@green:~$ diff /etc/X11/dvorak.xmodmap /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xmodmap.dvorak
ben@green:~$

  I had a similar problem back when I was running RedHat.  The solution
back then was to put the line "keycode  22 = BackSpace" in the xmodmap
file.  Unfortunately for the problem this time around:
ben@green:~$ grep  22 /home/ben/xmodmap.std
keycode  22 = BackSpace
ben@green:~$ grep 22 /etc/X11/dvorak.xmodmap
keycode 22 = BackSpace

  So where should I go next?

Thanks in advance,

-ben

Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment
ben.hartshorne.net Up there, alone, in the impartial dark. -M. Oliver
My PGP key is at /pgp.txt.  Please encrypt all communications.