Re: HELP: UDMA/100 woes and trouble.

On Thursday 27 September 2001 05:53 pm, you wrote:
> > Yeah, it is a slow old K6 III 400 with some (320MB) PC100 in CAS3 (CAS2
> > was giving me trouble).  It's an old board, too.  I don't have anything
> > that'll let me do ATA66, I think I'd need a new motherboard or to buy an
> > IDE controller.
>
> What chipset does this thing use?  Is your kernel compiled to support it?
>
> > I'll have to give that a shot... I guess I'll just have it do that on
> > startup if it works?
>
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, and then go -Tt it again.  Should show a difference,
> if the -d1 is allowed

It is interesting to note that turning DMA on on /dev/hda didn't result in
any performance gain at all.  It's an old Quatum BigFoot from 1998.  6GB disk.

Heh, sadly it's also my primary disk (silly, I know) and hdb seldom is used,
so having 14MB/s on that is nice, but probably won't help me much day to day.

I guess I could swap the disks... One of these days...