ntpd

Hi All,
I'm trying to run ntpd here to both set the clock and then keep it
synchronized with our ntp server.  My problem is that ntpd seems to be
trying to slew the clock instead of setting it.  Here is an example:

wolf:/home/andrew.dixon# date
Fri Jun 15 03:46:54 EDT 2001
wolf:/home/andrew.dixon# ntpd
wolf:/home/andrew.dixon# date
Fri Jun 15 03:47:00 EDT 2001
wolf:/home/andrew.dixon# killall ntpd
wolf:/home/andrew.dixon# ntpdate seranoa-fw.seranoa.com
27 Sep 10:36:56 ntpdate[257]: step time server 172.16.1.254 offset
9010177.053992 sec
wolf:/home/andrew.dixon# date
Thu Sep 27 10:37:01 EDT 2001

As you can see the ntpd does not step the clock to the correct time.
Here's my /etc/ntp.conf file:

# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for xntpd

# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
#logfile /var/log/ntpd

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

server seranoa-fw.seranoa.com

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy