Re: ntpd

I'm trying to run ntpd here to both set the clock and then keep it
synchronized with our ntp server.  My problem is that ntpd seems to be
trying to slew the clock instead of setting it.  Here is an example:

There is no problem; your description of what happens is correct. NTP does not set the date, it merely speeds up or slows down the clock to get it in sync, and then keeps it there. You use ntpdate (as you demonstrated) to "force" the clock to be instantly set.

Doug