Re: ntpd

Hello Andrew,

On Thursday, September 27, 2001 at 4:44:34 PM,
you wrote (at least in part):

> Hi All,
> I'm trying to run ntpd here to both set the clock and then keep it
> synchronized with our ntp server.  My problem is that ntpd seems to be
> trying to slew the clock instead of setting it.  Here is an example:

That's exactly how ntpd works. ntpdate sets the time 'instantly' ntpd tries to
compress your clock 's running faster/slower than 1s/s.
So you should start ntpd _after_ setting the correct time via ntpdate in your
init.d-scripts.

On my 2.2r0 potato machine (w/ some potato-security updates) there are two
scripts

/etc/init.d/ntpdate
/etc/init.d/ntp

and symlinks like this:

/etc/rc2.d/K22ntpdate -> ../init.d/ntpdate
/etc/rc2.d/K23ntp -> ../init.d/ntp

so time get's set and _after_ this the clockspeed-correction is done by ntpd

--
Best regards
 Peter