Re: Ramfs and Cachless Networking.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 07:50:32PM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> I suspect that the problem lies with scp.  On my local network I
> experience transfer rates of less than 200kB/s with scp because the
> server is an old Pentium 133 with not enough horse power.

Well, yes...  scp is an encrypted protocol.  Encryption takes time to
perform.

> With plain
> old rcp I get up to 6MB/s on a 100MB (half duplex?) link.

A data transfer rate of 6MByte/sec on a 100Mbit/sec link sounds
pretty reasonable.  6MByte = 48MBit, plus you've got packet headers
eating bandwidth, the possibility of collisions[1] and dropped
packets, and good old-fashioned latency to take their bites out of
your nominal 100Mb/s rate.

BTW, duplex doesn't figure very prominently here.  Full duplex would
just allow you to independently send 100Mb/s and receive 100Mb/s, but
would not allow sending at 200Mb/s.  It would help in this case by
reducing the chance of collisions, but headers, dropped packets, and
latency would be unaffected by it.

[1] In typical usage, ethernet's not good for much more than 60-75% of
its nominal bandwidth due to collisions, but I would expect to see
more than that out of a point-to-point link or a segment that's
otherwise idle.

have already won. - reverius