OT: how to deal with old mail

Hi!

I've been happily using mutt for several years now, and I've currently
got 415 mbox files (mutt folders) in my ~/Mail directory, consuming
40 MB of space.  In the past when my Mail directory got too large,
I've gone through and deleted the mbox files that I knew I wouldn't
want in the future.

It seems like there must be a better way.  I picture some sort
of script / program that parses each of your mbox files, looking
for messages that are older than a certain date, and moving these
message into a seperate mbox file that could be compressed, deleted,
or parsed seperately.

'apt-cache search mail' gave me a lot of responses, but the only
tool that seemed close was something called 'barrendero', but it
sounds more like a tool to *delete* mail from a single mbox file in
/var/spool/mail to keep the mail server from getting full.

Is there such a beast?  If not, how do you folks manage the great
crush of old, accumulated email messages on your systems?

Thanks,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley             phone: 907-474-2689
Computer / Network Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin