Re: Which CDs to buy? (Did apt-get, nervous about kernel compile)

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:41:18PM -0400, Peter Christensen wrote:
> I'm still learning Debian-Linux, was so pleased that apt-get worked.  It
> took 12 hours (!), but afterward Mozilla was finally working, so now I
> have internet access.
>
> After the apt-get dist-upgrade I got a message saying that I must
> upgrade the kernel.  Current is 2.0.36, need at least 2.2.12.
>
> Compiling the kernel looks like it will be tough for a beginner.  (I
> checked out some of the instructions on the Debian website.)

	As others in the thread have noted, it isn't *that* difficult. However,
if you don't wish to compile a kernel, Debian has some prepackaged kernels that
should suit your system. head over to http://packages.debian.org and search for
packages named kernel-image* If you're running a more common setup, you can
probably get away with apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19-2 or the like,
depending on what release you're running (it will be stable if you haven't
changed it.)

	However, I must stress the importance of the experience of 'rolling
your own' kernel. I was compiling my own until I switched from Mandrake to
Debian, and you learn a great deal from the process, especially if you're new
to linux (like I was at the time).

> So here's my question:  I'm sure I'll make a mistake if I compile the
> kernel, so I want to have a fresh set of Debian CDs.  According to the
> Debian website Cheapbytes sells a "vendor release" and a "custom
> release."  Linux-CD.com sells the "official release."  Does it make a
> difference which I buy?  (Both sell the 2.2r3 release.)

	I don't know for sure about this one, but I'll venture a guess:
	There are several sections to the debian package archives (main contrib
non-free non-us etc). The "vendor release" may contain only the "main" section,
which will be everything you need to get up and running. The "custom" release
may contain extras, like the "contrib" section, for instance. In any case, all
of the above options you mention will contain enough to get the system up and
connected. From there you can fetch the rest from the internet.

HTH,
--
Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
# pgp keyid: C36DC30D

We are MicroSoft.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.
	-- Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates