Which CDs to buy? (Did apt-get, nervous about kernel compile)

I'm still learning Debian-Linux, was so pleased that apt-get worked.  It
took 12 hours (!), but afterward Mozilla was finally working, so now I
have internet access.

After the apt-get dist-upgrade I got a message saying that I must
upgrade the kernel.  Current is 2.0.36, need at least 2.2.12.

Compiling the kernel looks like it will be tough for a beginner.  (I
checked out some of the instructions on the Debian website.)

So here's my question:  I'm sure I'll make a mistake if I compile the
kernel, so I want to have a fresh set of Debian CDs.  According to the
Debian website Cheapbytes sells a "vendor release" and a "custom
release."  Linux-CD.com sells the "official release."  Does it make a
difference which I buy?  (Both sell the 2.2r3 release.)

Thanks,
Peter