Re: Should /tmp be world writable?

On 26 Sep 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 11:12:34AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 26 Sep 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > > /tmp should (most would say must) be set to chmod 1777.  daemons who run as
> > > nobody write there, your programs write there, cronjobs write there, etc.
> >
> > This is certainly my experience. But Debian seems to set it up initially
> > as chmod 755, unless I changed it myself (don't think I did).
>
> I've heard of this happening before. If you manage to track it down to a
> particular package, please make sure a bug is filed against it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

No idea at all where it came from. I originally installed Debian on this
machine using a CD set which I got from a supplier (one he'd made
himself); that was months ago and since then I've been tracking testing.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatsoever
that it is not utterly absurd. Indeed, in view of the silliness of the
majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish
than sensible.                                  [Bertrand Russell]