Re: Should /tmp be world writable?

On 26 Sep 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 26-Sep-2001 Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I find that it's necessary to set /tmp world readable and writable,
> > otherwise various programs that need to write to it can't do so (e.g.
> > lynx). As this is a stand-alone machine connected only intermittently to
> > the net, it isn't a big security problem for me, but is this set-up
> > incorrect and, if so, what should it be?
> >

> /tmp should (most would say must) be set to chmod 1777.  daemons who run as
> nobody write there, your programs write there, cronjobs write there, etc.

This is certainly my experience. But Debian seems to set it up initially
as chmod 755, unless I changed it myself (don't think I did).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

... I do not know which is more striking - the clumsy inadequacy of words, or
their world-shaking power. So long as men remain emotional creatures, they will
continue to be taken, like rabbits, by the ears. [F.L. Lucas]