Should /tmp be world writable?

I find that it's necessary to set /tmp world readable and writable,
otherwise various programs that need to write to it can't do so (e.g.
lynx). As this is a stand-alone machine connected only intermittently to
the net, it isn't a big security problem for me, but is this set-up
incorrect and, if so, what should it be?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than when they are
convinced beyond doubt that they are right.     [Laurens van der Post]