Re: About a laptop

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 04:09:03PM -0400, dman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:57:06PM -0600, Jeff Lessem wrote:
> | In your message of: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:06:19 EDT, you write:
> | >As I was looking up info on the suspend-to-disk feature I found some
> |
> | I got suspend to disk working by setting up a partition with lphdisk
> | from http://www.procyon.com/~pda/lphdisk/.  Then pressing fn-a will
> | suspend to disk.  I found this to be a nearly worthless feature
> | though.  Writing out a 384MB+ memory image takes a several minutes,
> | and reading it back in takes much longer than booting from scratch.
> | Even with the normal suspend, I have left my laptop asleep for 24
> | hours and still only used less than 1/3 of one battery.
>
> Hmm, yeah, that makes sense.  I think I'll try it anyways because the
> ability to not drain battery power while still leaving your work open
> sounds nice.  One thing to note though : if I close the laptop too
> quickly after shutting down it isn't really shutdown yet and is in
> suspend(-to-RAM) mode.  When I open it again it loads up, finishes
> shutting down, and takes quite a while to get anything useful out of
> it :-).

In the standard laptop bios, you can disable the "sleep to ram on screen
close" feature.  I switched it to only turn off the screen when I close,
and require an explicit command to sleep, either to disk or ram.  I much
prefer this behavior.

-ben

Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment
ben.hartshorne.net Up there, alone, in the impartial dark. -M. Oliver
My PGP key is at /pgp.txt.  Please encrypt all communications.