Re: About a laptop

In your message of: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:06:19 EDT, you write:
>On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:38:31AM -0700, Lucho Debianero wrote:
>| Im planning to buy a dell inspiron new 8100, anybody
>| knows if there is any problem with woody specially
>| with  the internal-pci modem and ethernet?
>
>Do you have the model number?  That usually helps when researching
>hardware compatibility.

The internal modem will probably work if it is based on the
Lucent/Agere chipset.  Look at http://www.heby.de/ltmodem for the
drivers.  The builtin ethernet will almost definately work, regardless
of what type it is.  I understand it is difficult to find out exactly
which modem/ethernet card Dell is using at any particular time.  Once
you have the laptop, lspci should tell you what hardware it contains.

>As I was looking up info on the suspend-to-disk feature I found some

I got suspend to disk working by setting up a partition with lphdisk
from http://www.procyon.com/~pda/lphdisk/.  Then pressing fn-a will
suspend to disk.  I found this to be a nearly worthless feature
though.  Writing out a 384MB+ memory image takes a several minutes,
and reading it back in takes much longer than booting from scratch.
Even with the normal suspend, I have left my laptop asleep for 24
hours and still only used less than 1/3 of one battery.