Re: apt-get wierdness: when 6 is equal to 9

Peter Jay Salzman(p@dirac.org) is reported to have said:
> begin: Hereward Cooper <zadok@phreaker.net> quote
> > once upon a time Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> said:
> >

> > > problem: two systems with the same sources.list don't know about the
> > > same
> > >   available packages.
> >
> > have you tried running the update selection from dselect. I think the
> > problem is that dpkg only lists the files from the package list when
> > updated via dselect. Or alternativly you could use "apt-cache search
> > <filename>" which would use the apt package list.
> > Hereward
> hereward,
>
> thanks for the reply.  so dselect and apt contain different views of what
> packages are on the system?
>
> just tried it -- i think you're right.  imho, this goes beyond inelegance,
> and borders on a bug that needs to be fixed.  it's unthinkable that there are
> two databases of available packages which are out of sync everytime we choose
> apt over dselect or dselect over apt.
>
> seems like debian should strive to make apt and dselect front ends for the
> same package management system.   :(

dselect update  will update it's package list 'and' apt-get's list.  Odd,
but thats the was it works.  So dselect update is the one to do.

That messed me up as well, until I was informed of it.  One of the
many pluses of this list.
--
A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
tray and the blinking red light.