Re: Print Server ?

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 09:29:07PM +0100, George wrote:
| Heya People,
|
| I was wondering if there's any way I can get my linux box/server/gateway to to act as a something similar to a print server.
|
| Basically, I've got my windows box, 2 linux boxen, and a freebsd box
| all hooked up to the server and the server is connected via parallel
| to the printer. Is there anyway I can get the server to capture and
| forward print requests from any of the workstations (irrespective of
| OS, i.e no print filters on the server or anything, just request
| forwarding)

I too use CUPS on my workstation/gateway (server, if you will).  I
use 'lp' locally to spool jobs, and samba to spool jobs from the
windows box on the network.  CUPS also supports the lpd and ipp
protocols so if you have, for example, lp/lpd or lprng on the existing
clients those can still be used.

You may just want to use plain lpd (and samba to receive stuff from
windows) and have it simply dump the data out the port without any
driver stuff.  One of the nice things with CUPS is it can take several
different formats of input and then convert it to the format the
printer understands.

HTH,
-D