Re: Print Server ?

On Sunday 23 September 2001 04:29 pm, George wrote:
> Heya People,
>
> I was wondering if there's any way I can get my linux box/server/gateway to
> to act as a something similar to a print server.

Sure.

> Basically, I've got my windows box, 2 linux boxen, and a freebsd box all
> hooked up to the server and the server is connected via parallel to the
> printer. Is there anyway I can get the server to capture and forward print
> requests from any of the workstations (irrespective of OS, i.e no print
> filters on the server or anything, just request forwarding)

Forward the print requests somewhere else or to the printer on the server
itself?  This can be done via a number of different methods.

I use Samba (since I have windows boxes) and CUPS to handle the printing on
the server.  It prints fine both from the server and remotely via SAMBA.

If you're using a different printing tool on the box and it already works you
might perfer to investigate remote printing options for it instead of
switching to CUPS.  Also note Potato doesn't have newer versions of CUPS
which you might want to use drivers generated at linuxprinting.org (great
site).  Woody has recent enough versions for all to be well.

If you're interested in the CUPS + Samba solution it works quite well.

[global]
         ;; lots of options removed
        printing = CUPS
        printcap name = lpstat
        load printers = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        create mode = 0700

        ; The raw option allows printing from Windows using the
        ; driver provided by Epson.

        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P %p -o raw %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
        available = yes

**

That's all I have and it Just Works (tm).