Re: xfonts packages broken?

I had similar problems with fonts. It turned out that
since I didn't initially do an dist-upgrade to woody,
and probably since I was running X and apt-get from a
virtual tty, that some parts of Xfree86 3.x were
installed along with the 4.x fonts. The 3.x Xserver
was in some instances confused by the 4.x fonts. I got
rid of 3.x and have all 4.x and now the fonts are
displaying nicely. BTW, I use Windowmaker and it was
primarily GTK apps that had font problems though
Netscape & Mozilla did as well.

--- Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> * Pollywog (croak@shadypond.com) [010922 15:14]:
> > I have the following xfonts packages installed,
> but when I upgrade Woody
> > and these packages get upgraded, I lose fonts in
> my Gnome themes, the
> > Gnome panel, and in Evolution.  Instead of
> characters, I see tiny blocks
> > consisting of dots.
> >
> > hi  xfonts-100dpi  4.0.3-4        100 dpi fonts
> for X
> > hi  xfonts-75dpi   4.0.3-4        75 dpi fonts for
> > hi  xfonts-base    4.0.3-4        standard fonts
> for X
> > hi  xfonts-scalabl 4.0.3-4        scalable fonts
> for X
> >
> > Is it just me?
>
> It's not just you... I posted the message below and
> got ZERO response.
>
> > I've just done an apt-get update & apt-get upgrade
> for the first time
> > in a week or two (usig woody), and I've lost the
> fonts ... They're
> > all replaced by strange little symbols, which I
> assume means the
> > characters is unavailable.
>
> Can the package maintainer comment on this ?? It's
> becoming
> far too common, isn't it ??
>
> What are people doing wrong (I'd argue nothing if
> it's
> happening simply as a result of upgrading/updating X
> packages)
> ??
>

> Regards
> Hall