help - mouse, and installing NIC driver

I'm setting up a Debian system after a while away from linux. I've got Debian
2.2 r3 (potato).
I can't start X up - when I try, I get the message "No mouse - couldn't find
/dev/mouse0" (it might not be exactly device mouse0, but you get the jist).
I've run xf86config and made sure that I've specified a PS/2 mouse, which is
what I have attached, but it's not appearing on the system - there's nothing
remotely called mouse in /dev/. Any ideas how to rememdy this? The mouse itself
works fine, it was functioning ok on a windoze system a few days ago. (It's a
standard microsoft intellimouse (with mouse wheel)).
(The motherboard is moderately new - an ABit BP7, I think.)

Another problem, while I'm at it - I've put a 3c network card in the machine
(type: 3c905cx-txm) and downloaded the drivers from
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownloads.htm (the file I've
d/l is the first one, 3c90x-1.0.0i.tar.gz). As per the instructions, I've
gunziped and untarred the archive, and ran the file called "install3c90x" -
when I do this, I get "file or directory not found" - but the file certainly is
there! This install file has execute permission, I'm logged in as root, and I'm
executing it as "./install3c90x" (note the ./), so I have no idea why I get
this error. Anyone got any ideas?
[And no, I'm not mistypng the filename, since I'm using tab-completion to get
the full name of the file at the command prompt.]

any help muchly appreciated!

thanks
alex

--