Re: stable -> testing

* Bob Koss (koss@objectmentor.com) [010919 16:07]:
> I have a Debian stable system, but I'm thinking unstable might be in my
> future.
>
> This morning I thought I'd perform the simple task of compiling pan from
> cvs.
>
> Trying to do the autoconf / make thing led me to install several packages,
> which required even more packages. I through up my hands when I needed a new
> glib, which required a new libc, which wouldn't install due to some other
> failed dependency. Okay, I'm thinking that stable is just too painful and
> maybe I should be using testing.
>
> Reading through the archives, I'm rather scared to move to testing. Seems
> many people end up with something broken when they attempt this. But,
> soldiering on....
>
> I changed 'stable' to 'testing' everywhere in my /etc/apt/sources.list file.

When using testing, I always left the deb lines for stable in the
sources.list file. That is to say that I think rather than replacing
your stable lines with testing, you should leave them there and add
lines for testing. For some reason, I remember thinking it wouldn't work
without the stable lines in there.

I may be wrong about this, so hopefully someone else on the list can
confirm or deny it.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.