stable -> testing

I have a Debian stable system, but I'm thinking unstable might be in my
future.

This morning I thought I'd perform the simple task of compiling pan from
cvs.

Trying to do the autoconf / make thing led me to install several packages,
which required even more packages. I through up my hands when I needed a new
glib, which required a new libc, which wouldn't install due to some other
failed dependency. Okay, I'm thinking that stable is just too painful and
maybe I should be using testing.

Reading through the archives, I'm rather scared to move to testing. Seems
many people end up with something broken when they attempt this. But,
soldiering on....

I changed 'stable' to 'testing' everywhere in my /etc/apt/sources.list file.

I did an 'apt-get update'. But when I attempt to do an 'apt-get upgrade', I
get the following error:

45 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 229 not upgraded.
  debianutils: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97) but 2.1.3-18 is to be installed
E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!
bear:~#

So now I seem to have a half-broken system that can't be upgraded.

Advice?

----
Robert S. Koss, Ph.D.   | Training and Mentoring
Senior Consultant       | Object Oriented Design
Object Mentor, Inc.     | C++, Java
www.objectmentor.com    | Extreme Programming