Re: stable -> testing

Bob Koss <koss@objectmentor.com> writes:
BK> I changed 'stable' to 'testing' everywhere in my
BK> /etc/apt/sources.list file.
BK>
BK> I did an 'apt-get update'. But when I attempt to do an 'apt-get
BK> upgrade', I get the following error:
BK>
BK> 45 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 229 not upgraded.
BK> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
BK>   debianutils: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97) but 2.1.3-18 is to be installed
BK> E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!

Just 'apt-get upgrade' won't install or remove packages to satisfy
dependencies.  Quite likely the new libc6 depends on something
external, so it's not getting installed, and you're running into the
dependency problem you see here.  Try 'apt-get dist-upgrade' instead,
which will do whatever is necessary to complete the upgrade.  (Plus,
you are effectively upgrading from one release to another.)

Alternatively, consider using a front-end like dselect or aptitude,
which will let you see more of what the APT invocation is actually
doing.

	-- Abra Mitchell