Re: fbset

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:10:55PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
| * Steve Gran (gashuffer09@home.com) [010918 16:23]:
| > Hello all,
| > Seems like a silly question, but I can't quite figure out how to do it.  I
| > would like to have my terminals display at something like 1024x768 at boot
| > time.  I have tried both vga=ask and vga=0x305 in /etc/lilo.conf, and
| > neither gives me what I want  - ask supplies a max res of 640x480, and
| > vga=0x305 gives the same, although I thought would give the res I'm looking
| > for.  However, fbset 1024x760-60 works just fine.  Am i just feeding the
| > wrong numbers in my vga line?  Is it some stupid syntactic error (like I
| > need append = first)?  I could put a little script in /etc/rc2.d/, I
| > suppose, but I would like the kernel to handle it, as it's compiled in.
| > uname -a
| > Linux gashuffer 2.4.9 #2 Sun Sep 9 20:04:31 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
| > fbset -v
| > Linux Frame Buffer Device Configuration Version 2.1 (23/06/1999)
| > (C) Copyright 1995-1999 by Geert Uytterhoeven
| >
| > Opening frame buffer device `/dev/fb0'
| > Using current video mode from `/dev/fb0'
| >
| > mode "640x480-60"
| >     # D: 25.171 MHz, H: 31.463 kHz, V: 59.930 Hz
| >     geometry 640 480 640 480 8
| >     timings 39729 30 34 33 10 96 2
| >     accel true
| >     rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
| > endmode
|
| Hey,
|
| sorry I don't have a good answer, but a clue that might help you find
| one: the framebuffer stuff and the vga= stuff are 2 different beasts.

Actually, they are related.  The vga= can be used to set a size for a
tradional VGA text console (the only options listed if you specify
"ask"), or one can specify a VESA mode (scaled up by 0x200) for the
VESA framebuffer.

| see fb.txt in the kernel documentation for more info. If you're using
| the VESA framebuffer, I think what you really need is a kernel parameter
| more like "video=vesafb:mode:options", and those are documented in the

This is the other related option.  It is more flexible, but I'm just
using the vga= option right now.

| fb/vesafb.txt file. If you're using something else instead of vesa (like
| rivafb for an nvidia riva, or matroxfb for a matrox, etc.) see the
| appropriate file in the same place (<kernel-source>/Documentation/fb).

Yeah, if you have a good (supported) card you can get acceleration
too.  Not me.

HTH,
-D