Re: fbset

* Steve Gran (gashuffer09@home.com) [010918 16:23]:
> Hello all,
> Seems like a silly question, but I can't quite figure out how to do it.  I
> would like to have my terminals display at something like 1024x768 at boot
> time.  I have tried both vga=ask and vga=0x305 in /etc/lilo.conf, and
> neither gives me what I want  - ask supplies a max res of 640x480, and
> vga=0x305 gives the same, although I thought would give the res I'm looking
> for.  However, fbset 1024x760-60 works just fine.  Am i just feeding the
> wrong numbers in my vga line?  Is it some stupid syntactic error (like I
> need append = first)?  I could put a little script in /etc/rc2.d/, I
> suppose, but I would like the kernel to handle it, as it's compiled in.
> uname -a
> Linux gashuffer 2.4.9 #2 Sun Sep 9 20:04:31 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
> fbset -v
> Linux Frame Buffer Device Configuration Version 2.1 (23/06/1999)
> (C) Copyright 1995-1999 by Geert Uytterhoeven
>
> Opening frame buffer device `/dev/fb0'
> Using current video mode from `/dev/fb0'
>
> mode "640x480-60"
>     # D: 25.171 MHz, H: 31.463 kHz, V: 59.930 Hz
>     geometry 640 480 640 480 8
>     timings 39729 30 34 33 10 96 2
>     accel true
>     rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
> endmode

Hey,

sorry I don't have a good answer, but a clue that might help you find
one: the framebuffer stuff and the vga= stuff are 2 different beasts.
see fb.txt in the kernel documentation for more info. If you're using
the VESA framebuffer, I think what you really need is a kernel parameter
more like "video=vesafb:mode:options", and those are documented in the
fb/vesafb.txt file. If you're using something else instead of vesa (like
rivafb for an nvidia riva, or matroxfb for a matrox, etc.) see the
appropriate file in the same place (<kernel-source>/Documentation/fb).

HTH,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.